Ticketed: Stop by the police over a stop sign

I usually do not rant of rave about anything but I was stopped by an officer today, for disobeying a stop sign. Firstly I was behind two other vehicles I checked to see if the road way was clear before proceeding, which represents a reasonable driving practice. Secondly He stops the car infront of me, who stops then he proceeds to point to me to stop, I obey the command. His rationale was that I would be getting a ticket for disobeying a stop sign which is not clearly visible in 180 degree line of sight but is visible in periphery. If you look up road i.e the other side, then as the driver you would not observe the sign.

After my stop other cars move to commit the same offence, the officers do nothing. They are  too busy with their heads in the ticket books illegibly writing the tickets. I proceed to take out my road traffic act and look for the offence as well as  the appropriate fine (Note: Section 97 and a fine of $1500). He realizes that I know more than the ordinary person about traffic laws having never gotten a ticket. I review the ticket and was thinking to myself what if I refuse to sign the ticket, what could they possibly do to me. Luckily there were no points deductions assigned.

 However two things became apparent after reviewing  the ticket itself. The officer put the wrong offence to my knowledge ( section 37: which speaks to discretion for arrest by an officer) based on the road traffic act and a discretionary amount ($4000).

You tell me now, should officers be given discretion if they do not fully understand the gamut of the road traffic act, its provisions, reasonable driving practices as well the actual definition of discretion.

After pointing out that the officers refuse to stop the cars committing the same offence. The officer in charge proceeds to give an idiotic of discretion. The example he uses was a lady whom  he stopped and she told him that she had cancer, he let go on her me. Me now because I'm a strong young man (Young boy) deserve the ticket. Is that discretion or discrimination?

Wait till I meet up with them again in a more powerful position where I need to use my discretion...

#Upset #CollegeEconomist.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts